Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What is luxury?

This is a question, I ask myself from time to time. And there is a spontaneous answer I can think of: to buy a house, to have a car, a nice yacht and taking 5 vacations a year to the other side of the world. Just like that.

But these are answers so automatically given. And we really should doubt it, if nowadays it is reasonable to want to achieve these goals. If this is really fulfilling. At least it’s reachable, there are people who achieved these goals. And on their cases we noticed, that this kind of luxury is not a guarantee for true happiness. There were times this was an eligible ambition. But it’s saturated. We seek for something else now.

If you observe our society, you can literally smell the stress, rush and headless errantry. But if you question it, it doesn’t make any sense anymore. We are looking out for those ideals, luxury goods etc., because we were told to do so, we grew up with this life style and simply because everybody does so.

Another topic is „perfectionism“. You have to do it 120% right. And you have to bring a benefit of 120%. But we like to deny the fact, that one human has to work for three nowadays, and that means that this person would have to bring an effort of 360%. You might be my opinion that this is simply not possible. The term “human resources burnout” unfortunately is not so unknown these days.

And the person, who seriously starts to think about, might wake up one day and think: „What am I doing here? Who or what am I?” So there we start the questions about the meaning. And a spate of esoterism might bring an answer, which implicates two or three more questions.

So if we keep track of the status of our society now, we get some very interesting and so favorable answers to the actual question: What is luxury?
Luxury today can be:

To not possess a TV at home

To live a self-determined life

To be able to switch off your mobile/blackberry/notebook during 24hrs

To be able to say: “No, I am not perfect in that!”

To be able to concentrate on one thing at a time, and not to get distracted by other 253 things on the way

To come to the conviction: “Maybe multitasking is not as good as its reputation tries to tell us.”

To be able to give a very simple answer to the question what your profession is: “ I live.”

So with these thoughts I’d love to accompany you into your new luxurious life.

No comments:

Post a Comment